The Tax Practitioners Board has advised:
"Following the success of our CPE reviews we are extending the project"
Of approximately 200 CPE records reviewed by the TPB, the vast majority were compliant with the TPB’s requirements. Of the remainder:
We are providing you with advance notice that the review program is being expanded.
- over 30 were sent education letters
- six surrendered their registration; and
- three were issued with written cautions and orders to complete their deficient CPE hours.
Our CPE policy requires practitioners to maintain records and evidence of CPE activities completed. We will ensure all tax practitioners comply with the policy and maintain the knowledge and skills relevant to the services they provide. Failure to comply may lead to a formal investigation that could result in an administrative sanction.
It is important to remember that if a member of a recognised professional association is compliant with the association’s CPE requirements, it will be accepted as meeting our CPE requirements, subject to the CPE activities:
- being relevant to the tax agent services you provide
- being provided by persons or organisations with suitable qualifications and/or practical experience in the subject area
- meeting our minimum amount of CPE hours as mentioned above.
NOTE: TPB Webinar explaining their CPE expectations
Learn about relevant continuing professional education (CPE) activities, how to record them, extenuating circumstances, and complying with your CPE obligations. We’ll also share the latest outcomes from our CPE reviews.
Tuesday 12th, 11am AEDT Information on TPB website
What you need to check
ICB Comment: Note the emphasis by the TPB
- Must have the records: Use the ICB CPE Register
- Must achieve 45 hours CPE relevant to being a BAS Agent in each 3 years. The ICB CPE Program provides CPE opportunities in excess of the requirement.
NOTE: The ICB Webinars and Network Meetings are included in ICB Membership fees. Members receive special pricing for Conferences and Workshops
Prove that you are competent
ICB Annual Skill Review - checking that you are current and competent
ICB Specialist Skill accreditations - HR Intermediary, Payroll, TPAR, Software
Apply for ICB Membership here