Welcome to Deakin University's Counting on U program, a unique training program that equips Bookkeepers and Business advisers with relationship building and mental health first aid skills to better support their clients and themselves.
All training is free for eligible participants and will be conducted entirely via “Zoom” online.
Please ensure when registering your interest, you select the option best suited to your work commitments.
You will join bookkeepers and business advisors like yourself, in the following program:
- Relationship Building Training
- Mental Health First Aid training
- 5 hrs self e-learning (NB: you must have completed this component of the course prior to attending the following two Zoom workshops. It is an essential pre-requisite to completing the course, and you will be given at least 2 full weeks’ time to complete this)
- 2 x 2.5 hr “Zoom” workshops, completed 1-2 days apart.
- 2 x 45 min “Zoom” booster sessions, 1- and 3-months post-training.”
NOTE: - “The Instructor needs to be able to see and hear you for you to participate in the training therefore access to a camera and a microphone for the duration of the session is mandatory. If your computer doesn’t have a microphone or camera built in you can still attend via your computer but will need to be also on camera using your smart phone or tablet at the same time.” We would need to add that this is from a participant care point of view as it allows trainers to observe any changes in body language or behaviour from participants that may indicate that they’re distressed from what’s being discussed. For those participants who may have technical issues/internet issues and may not have good connection with their videos on, they need to alert the trainer to this at the start of the MHFA session so that the trainer can take this into account.
On completion of this online ‘live’ workshop delivered by MHFA trainers you will attain:
A stand-alone, accredited and evidence-based course that will teach business advisors how to provide support to individuals who are experiencing a mental health crisis or developing a mental illness. Just like physical first aid and related courses, MHFA is applied until the crisis resolves or the person undertakes professional help.
- Be able to apply advanced and specialist communication skills to explore SME clients’ presenting concerns or business needs (both financial and psychosocial), establish their nature and depth, and the confidence to deliver difficult advice.
- Understand the components to self-awareness, emotional intelligence and communication barriers, and use strategies to overcome these barriers in the context of the client-advisor relationship.
- Develop the relationship-building skills to establish a long-term, trusted advisor relationship with your SME clients.
Please Note: There can only be 7 people per group.
- This event counts 14.0 hours towards your CPE requirements. You will be required to add this CPE to your CPE register following your participation in the workshop. CPE earned for these events will not automatically be added to your ICB CPE Log.
- The course presenters are accredited mental health first aid trainers at Principal-master or master level, from Mentally Well Workplaces. You will be allocated a dedicated educator on acceptance into the program, with contact being made directly from your educator.
- MWW educators are working in conjunction with Deakin Business School in this initiative.