Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

professional development expense allowance

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 2 posts
  • # 118150

A client wishes to provide all staff with a professional development allowance up to a certain value. this is writen into the employement contract, with a reimbursement policy to accompany this, outlining that the PD allowance will be paid/reimbursed on provision of invoices ie fully expensed. Does this constitute a non taxable allowance ie no paygw? should it be shown at allowances for STP , or does it constitute a reimbursement - not salary and deductible to the business as an expense and subject to FBT , although exempt under otherwise deductible.

thanks

• 34 posts
  • # 119146

You can claim exemption to the extent of expenditure incurred for official purposes. As per rules, it is on actual basis and hence prior approval of academic research/professional pursuits and tracking spending etc. could be required for smooth accounting and audit.

• 1 post
  • # 119565

EmD said:

A client wishes to provide all staff with a professional development allowance up to a certain value. this is writen into the employement contract, with a reimbursement policy to accompany this, outlining that the PD allowance will be paid/reimbursed on provision of invoices ie fully expensed. Does this constitute a non taxable allowance ie no paygw? should it be shown at allowances for STP , or does it constitute a reimbursement - not salary and deductible to the business as an expense and subject to FBT , although exempt under otherwise deductible.

thanks

When I was in college I often turned to a homework writing company, look at here I didn't want to waste my time on it. The guys do very high quality work that I am not ashamed of in front of my teacher. I have already graduated from college, but I still continue to recommend them because they are the best.

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 277 posts
  • # 119570

If they are effectively doing it as a reimbursement then why dont the just pay it outside of wages  as a true reimbursement.  If it is paid as an allowance then PAYG would need to be withheld for them to then claim back at the end of the financial year.

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last