Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

July 2018 Question of the Month – Control of accounting files

• 125 posts
  • # 116995

A client's accountant is seeking administrator rights to the accounting file to setup their staff as users. Should this be allowed? Considering the cyber issues today who has the control?

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 2 posts
  • # 117013

admin@ICB said:

A client's accountant is seeking administrator rights to the accounting file to setup their staff as users. Should this be allowed? Considering the cyber issues today who has the control?

I always allow the Accountant to have user persmission, if the client has engaged them as their professional Tax Agent, then there is no reason for me to prevent their access or be a gatekeeper. If I suspect an issue with the accoutants legitimacy that would make me doubt the validity of the request I would check with the client to ensure they understand any risk I may have uncovered. As part of our on-boarding I always get the accountants details from the client so I know who to expect to be dealing with, open communication with Accountants is very important to ensure our clients get the best results.

• 125 posts
  • # 117077

Considering the cyber issues today, the business owner should be the ultimate controller of access to the business datafile. If the accountant is providing training and consulting to the software, then administrative rights is sensible, however if the accountant is only asking for administrator to setup his own users, then the business owner should be informed of who is accessing the datafile and/or create or setup one user for the accounting firm.

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last