Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

recording / understanding time sheets

• 3 posts
  • # 116785

Hi,

I am studying bookkeeping course at the moment and would like to ask some of the questions that I can not figure out the answers myself. I hopefully am found some place to get some answers and recourses that I can rad and learn. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

My first question is about recording time sheets. I am trying to understand how you would enter/calculate the hours for an permanent part time employee who worked let's say 2 hours on a public holiday who usually works 7.5 hours on that particular day. 

I understand that you get 4 hours of minimum pay for working on a public holiday @penalty rates. You'd get 4 hours@2.5 (penalty rate) 4X2.5=10 hours @base pay rate.

He'd have got paid 7.5 hours @base pay rate if he didn't work on this particular day. I feel like he should get some more hours but can not figure out how or where from.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Melissa

• 29 posts
  • # 116786

Hi Melissa,

I think your way of looking at it might be confusing you.

By multiplying the 4 hours by 2.5 you get 10, but not 10 hours.

4 hours is 4 hours.

If their standard day is 7.5 and they work 4 hours on a public holiday, there would be a remainder of 3.5 hours to be paid at base rate.

On a payslip this would likely look like this.

Title Hours Multiplier Payrate Total
Base 3.5 1 $20 $70
Public Holiday 4 2.5 $20 $200
Total 7.5     $270

Your payroll suite might be able to automate these calculations.

The minimum shift duration depends on the award, I would recommend reviewing each award before implementing a minimum shift duration.

Below are some extracts from the fairworks website:

Hospitality Award

Public holidays - 4 hours for full-time and part-time employees

Public holidays - 2 hours for casual employees.

Retail Award

Each time a part-time or casual employee works, they have to be given at least 3 hours of work in a row.

I hope that all makes sense.

Edited at 29 May 2018 04:51 AM GMT

• 3 posts
  • # 116788

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, it makes sense now.

Just to recap if their standard day is 7.5 hr day and they work 6 hours on a public holiday you'd end up 1.5 hours to be paid at base rate which will look as follows on a payslip:

Title Hours Multiplier Pay rate Total
Base 1.5 1 $20 $30
Public Holiday 6 2.5 $20 $300
Total 7.5     $330

Hopefully I've got this one right.

Would it be correct if I was to say one would get the same pay regardless of the hours they do on a public holiday up to 4 hours then? Either you've worked 1 hour or 4 hours you'll get minimum of 4 hours plus the remaining hours adding upto your regular hours for that day.

Thank you.

• 29 posts
  • # 116789

Hi Melissa,

That payslip example you provided looks correct to me.

The nation standard minimum hours is 2.

4 hours is only required in some industries under some awards, so your statement about 4 hours is not usually correct.

The example I used in my last post illustrates how different awards vary, thus I would recommend reviewing each award before you apply a minimum shift duration to the timesheet.

• 3 posts
  • # 116790

Cannot thank you enough Joel. I have been researching on the internet for hours to figure this out to no avail.

I am looking at Clerks Private Sector Award 2010 for this particular example.

Thanks for the heads up for the minimum shift durations.

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last