Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

When to pay when pay-day falls on a Public Holiday?

• Associate in Practice
  • 2 posts
  • # 112832

Business normally pays employees weekly on Monday. Since ANZAC Day is on Monday this year, is there legislation to say that I have to pay on Friday or, may I pay on Tuesday?

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 8 posts
  • # 112845

If your pay falls due on a public holiday, you must be paid at or before the public holiday, otherwise it would be a breach of the Fair Work Act 2009.  A number of businesses I know of have changed their pay day from a Monday to a Tuesday because of the Monday Public Holiday frequency.

• Associate in Practice
  • 2 posts
  • # 112850

Hi Sue, ahh yes, thank you for reminding me about the Fair Work Act 2009! I was browsing the Fair Work website but forgot to reference to the Act. I did pay on Friday, knew it should happen that way,  and I like being able to reference the specific legislation if the director requires it.

• 1 post
  • # 118266

Sue Osbo said:

“If your pay falls due on a public holiday, you must be paid at or before the public holiday, otherwise it would be a breach of the Fair Work Act 2009.  A number of businesses I know of have changed their pay day from a Monday to a Tuesday because of the Monday Public Holiday frequency.”

Sue, can I ask where in the Act you found this information? I've read through it all and can't find where it says about paying wages before a public holiday. I've searched high and low through Google too and can't find anywhere that officially states it

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last