Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

Cash Payments

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 11 posts
  • # 111537

Can anyone direct me to where I might find what are acceptable cash payments within the restaurant business.

I have a client who occasionally hires transient staff who may just work a few hours once or twice and that's all.  Is it acceptable to pay cash up to a certain amount without the PAYG/Super expenses?

They have a cleaner who they pay $70 per week without an ABN and is not on payroll, is this acceptable?

Also they buy veggies etc from the local markets which I believe they are allowed to do if they get a signature from the vendor.  Some vendors do not want to give a signature, is this acceptable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bev

• 172 posts
  • # 111549

bevcoleman@westnet.com.au said:

Can anyone direct me to where I might find what are acceptable cash payments within the restaurant business.

I have a client who occasionally hires transient staff who may just work a few hours once or twice and that's all.  Is it acceptable to pay cash up to a certain amount without the PAYG/Super expenses?

They have a cleaner who they pay $70 per week without an ABN and is not on payroll, is this acceptable?

Also they buy veggies etc from the local markets which I believe they are allowed to do if they get a signature from the vendor.  Some vendors do not want to give a signature, is this acceptable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bev

1. "...transient staff who may just work a few hours once or twice and that's all.  Is it acceptable to pay cash up to a certain amount without the PAYG/Super expenses?"

- There are published guidelines on minimum monthly income before super is payable. Tax free thresholds may also apply for some (TFN declarations still required.

2. They have a cleaner who they pay $70 per week without an ABN and is not on payroll, is this acceptable?

- https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Statement-by-a-supplier-not-quoting-an-ABN/

3. "...they buy veggies etc from the local markets which I believe they are allowed to do if they get a signature from the vendor.  Some vendors do not want to give a signature, is this acceptable."

- Refer 2. above. Otherwise, ATO requirements for deductibility and documentation to substantiate would remain in place.

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last