Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

Add to the agenda - what would be great for you to hear

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54125

The Agenda for the conference has been structured and the content is under full development.  BUT before we get too carried away, what burning question do you have that you would love to hear the answer about that could just be relevant for many.  

Tell us here...... 

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54126

Agenda currently includes

1. Today’s Professional; what and how you agree to engage with a client
    (includes a walk through of issues to be covered in a real engagement letter)

2. A Practical Approach; checking, reviewing and making money

3. The need to know about Professional Indemnity Insurance

4. The need to know about Cert IV and other education for Bookkeepers

5. Things to think about when you are relied on and the TASA applies to you
    (competence, supervision, sufficient numbers, when do I tell)

6. ATO tools & techniques; what to do when the tax man rings, or you do

7. The future of the profession; structure, relevant experience, renewing registration 
 What would you like to hear or not hear about in the above?
what else would be of value? 

Open to all suggestions

Kind regards
Matthew 

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 151 posts
  • # 54128

Further to the engagement letter, some advice as to whether we we may legally include in our terms and conditions (or terms of payment on our invoices) such things as interest on overdue accounts and/or debt collection costs incurred being the responsibility of the client. Should we seek legal advice on this or is there an 'accepted' process?

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 1 post
  • # 54129

Matthew Addison said:

“The Agenda for the conference has been structured and the content is under full development.  BUT before we get too carried away, what burning question do you have that you would love to hear the answer about that could just be relevant for many.  

Tell us here...... ”

In the section of the agenda referring to the future of the bookkeeping profession please could you address the following:
"For those of us registered as BAS agents and have a Cert IV Bookkeeping (or greater) what extra training/education will we have to do to satisfy the eligibility requirements for renewal of registration with the TPB"

• 1 post
  • # 54131

Hi Matthew

Just my two cents but I'm tired of hearing about the Professional Indemnity Insurance, and Cert IV - none of it is new and some of us have been hearing about this for nearly two years now.

Cheers
Sam

• Member in Employment
  • 1 post
  • # 54135

I am on the same page as Sam (accountshq).  I am so tired of hearing about Cert IV, professional indemnity, legislation, etc.  While relevant, I've been waiting for something to get me at least a little excited about what's ahead and motivated to learn more and develop.  New software/technology/tools; interesting case studies (bookkeeping/software/etc solutions) that demonstrate what's happening out there in business and how to approach these; professional development ideas/material that extend beyond public liability/professional indemnity, BAS agent registration.  

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 7 posts
  • # 54136

Undecided I don't know what others think but most of the topics that have been outlined in the agenda are mostly topics that have been discussed in ICB Network meetings or in the ICB Newsletters.

To pay $200 to attend and to cover the same topics doesn't seem worth it to me. I regularly attend the Burwood and Mordialloc Network meetings and I was hoping that the conference would be providing us with some new exciting topics that we aren't able cover in these smaller gatherings.

The ATO Session seems a good idea!

Jo

• 1 post
  • # 54137

Yes I am a little over yesterdays news as well however bearing Indemnity Insurance in mind I would be interested in finding out abit more about where a bookkeepers accountability ends and the accountants begin in terms of errors, fradulent behaviour etc. It would also be interesting to explore the development of relationships between bookkeepers and accountants moving forward. I would be interested in hearing how accountants feel about the new generation bookkeeper and how they see us working togeather in the future?

Edited at 31 Jan 2011 09:43 AM GMT

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54140

Yep Wendy like this one thanks

WendyH
said:

“Further to the engagement letter, some advice as to whether we we may legally include in our terms and conditions (or terms of payment on our invoices) such things as interest on overdue accounts and/or debt collection costs incurred being the responsibility of the client. Should we seek legal advice on this or is there an 'accepted' process?”

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54141

Yep hope to cover this but will make sure

V JARRETT
said:

Matthew Addison said:
“The Agenda for the conference has been structured and the content is under full development.  BUT before we get too carried away, what burning question do you have that you would love to hear the answer about that could just be relevant for many.  

Tell us here...... ”

In the section of the agenda referring to the future of the bookkeeping profession please could you address the following:
"For those of us registered as BAS agents and have a Cert IV Bookkeeping (or greater) what extra training/education will we have to do to satisfy the eligibility requirements for renewal of registration with the TPB"”

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54142

Hi Samantha 
(Love your title)

Generally I agree with you, but there are things that are new and we will cover those but it will be quick - I dont imagine a lot of time here and I am certainly not looking to cover old ground or to be repeating myself.  We will be covering the upgrade in information and the TPB requirements (quickly).  We also get a lot of the same type of query so we will cover this in some form.

It may be that some information will be provided in material that is not covered in the presentations in depth

thanks for this input, I do appreciate it

accountshq
said:

“Hi Matthew

Just my two cents but I'm tired of hearing about the Professional Indemnity Insurance, and Cert IV - none of it is new and some of us have been hearing about this for nearly two years now.

Cheers
Sam”

• 1 post
  • # 54143

Hi
I would be interested in hearing about how to package services - what types of things to include and how to present them, and also maybe some ideas on marketing - in particular how to put together marketing packs for new clients and prospects.

Edited at 31 Jan 2011 11:00 AM GMT

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54144

JO, KC, Mary I hear you 
the conference by its very nature will deal with information at a very different level than any network meeting.

I certainly wont be doing an ATO session (if you meant having the ATO present) this year, or anytime soon - we have tried this a number of times in different ways and each time it just hasnt worked.

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 2 posts
  • # 54146

Matthew Addison said:

Tell us here...... ”
Hi Matthew,

As a contract bookkeeper can we bring in a 'babysitter' (with clients permission) to process invoices - but not prepare BAS's if we take some annual leave? 
Are there any existing guidelines to state whether a 'babysitter' would need to be a registered BAS agent?

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54149

>
Thanks Veronica
this is one area of the engagement letter and the attached conduct of a professional that we will be covering

>
>
>

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 45 posts
  • # 54182

I too think issues like Registration, Cert IV, PI have been done over many, many times.

I think the nuts & bolts of engagement letters is very important - lots probably to be considered.  I would like to know if there is any specific that should be included for Online accounting products - esp where we are the subscription holders.  Is there anything we should cover to limit our responsibilites to the providers terms.

From the agenda, I see this an issue of particular interest to me will be covered to some degree.  But I would really appreciate more at conference & in future professional development  on how we handle our relationships with accounts & clients to make sure our status as BAS Agents is not compromised.  I think there are actions by both which can get us into grey areas & we may not be sure where to draw the line.

Is it practical to develop a risk managment approach to each, Accountants & clients,  which identifies risks & that directs us to appropriate action to manage those risks???

Can we identify or "cluster" particular behaviours, factors and link them to specific actions.  What kind of notices/letters to send & when?  Or are there particular ATO publications we provide them with.

Eg.  What do we do when we think our clients systems or record keeping is inadequate  - do we insist they upgrade or be shed?  Or are there limits we can operate in where we advise them to change and if don't - we are not accountable?

Hope that makes sense - perhaps others if interested could define this area better

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 1 post
  • # 54214

Matthew
I would be interested in fiding out about new programs that will assist bookkeepers in their offices eg a program that will manage client info, link emails and documents, send email reminders to clients etc - something for a bookkeeping business, not an accountants office. Bookkeepers today are now responsible for so much more, and a practical program that can link everything together would be invalubale to our business.

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54215

> Hi Debbie
thanks for this
it is something that is very high on my attention list.
We will deal with it a little in the conference but mostly through the use of our TIPE application
It is a web portal Bookkeepers productivity tool that also works with a smart phone app

I am also trying to source or initiate further solutions in this area

good idea
>
>
>

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 31 posts
  • # 54267

I would like to hear some tips regarding dealing with new clients requiring 'catch up' jobs, eg 2 years worth of a dodgy software file to fix up - how to give an estimate if possible, what terms and conditions to apply to quotation, where to start, trapfalls to look out for, shortcuts, etc.

Also dealing with the ATO regarding BAS lodgement and payment extensions for clients (again, particularly for catch-up jobs) - how to go about, what are considered acceptable reasons and extension times, etc.

Thanks,

Jen.

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 1 post
  • # 54444

Just a couple of topics I’d like to see included:

• Dealing with the ATO: AUSKeys administrators & how to attach to a BAS Agent registration & should it be the BAS Agent individual or the BAS Agent company?
  • Explanation of  how the Bookkeeping Company relates to the BAS agent within the company.
  • What role & relationship does the BAS Agent company & the BAS agent employee have?
  • What does the ATO think of the current BAS Agents progression?
  • What is the ATO planning to do beyond the next renewal to ensure clients are informed about the need & importance of a BAS Agent?

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 32 posts
  • # 54508

HI Matthew

One thing that I would love to see is actual papers regarding the info in the conference.
I attended last years conference to be told "dont write anything down, it will all be provided later" which it wasnt, not totally, there were a few things on the website, but all in all it would be great to have something to refer to once you are home.  Even weeks later when you come across something and need to refer to notes etc.
I realise this could become quite large, so possibly an outline and the more important things in print.  Maybe the balance of information could have a home on the ICB website.
Just my thoughts !!
Cheers
Trish

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54510

>
> Hi Trish
we are in the major preparation of the conference manual right now - printing deadline is looming.
It is produced as a major resource for all content and then some additonal items
it is being prepared so that it is able to be written on and your takeaway will be at the time and valid.

the ICB website will back up the conference material - but it i fair to say our plans are for an extensive takeaway resource
>
>

• 83 posts
  • # 54511

It is shaping up to be a great manual which we are sure you will use and refer to over and over again.

• Member in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 32 posts
  • # 54512

Thanks Matthew, that will be a great reference for all of us.

Definitely looking forward to this Conference, should be lots to learn :)

Cheers
Trish

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 151 posts
  • # 54803

So how did the first conference in Launceston go?

• Fellow in Practice
  • Practice Certificate
  • 455 posts
  • # 54820

> Hi Wendy and others
Day 1 and a great turn up of 23 people in launceston (300% increase from previous Tassie conferences, thanks very much to those in attendance.

From my point of view it worked. Presentations need a little tightening but the manuals, the content and the presentations appeared well received

But I am probably biased.
> :-)
>
>

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last